o Function Live Migration
o Live Migration supports Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV)
o Adding peripheral heat (virtual disks, network cards …)
o Improving the tolerance of loss of connectivity between nodes in a cluster
o Improving the administration of Virtual Data Centers (Virtual Data Centers)
o PowerShell cmdlets v2
* Terminal Services Remote Desktop Services becomes:
o Support for multi-screen display
o Support for Audio Recording: possibility to use an audio input to capture sounds
o Support Aero Glass
o Forwarding Direct X
o Bar local language to control the language settings.
o Centralized administration.
Active Directory :
* Active Directory Administration Center: new management console based on PowerShell v2
* PowerShell Active Directory
* Active Directory trash
* How to join the field in offline mode (offline): Use an XML file containing all the information to join the domain, which may be introduced during the automatic deployment.
* New functionality managed service accounts « to update the password for all services in case of change on one of them.
* « Authentication Assurance » for Active Directory Federated Services
Internet Information Services (IIS):
* PowerShell cmdlets v2
* Improved integration of the IIS Manager console in the Server Manager console
* Automatic deployment of applications using Web Deployment Tool (MS Deploy above)
* Integration of database administration with SQL Server Database Manager
* WebDAV integration modules and URLScan 3.0
Security and High Availability:
* Direct Access feature allowing machines to connect to the resources of a corporate network without using a VPN.
* Apparition of the DHCP failover functionality enabling high availability for the automatic distribution of IP configurations
* Improved security for the DNS with DNSSEC functionality
Server Core :
* Windows PowerShell v2
* Add File Server Resource Manager (FSRM)
More information about the paths of migrating to Windows Server 2008 Windows Server 2008 R2: Here