Release Candidate (RC) of System Center Configuration Manager Physical to Virtual Migration Toolkit is available !!!
Great news, The Release Candidate (RC) of the Configuration Manager Physical-to-Virtual Migration Toolkit is available on Microsoft Connect !
The Configuration Manager P2V Migration Toolkit facilitates the re-utilization of existing x64 server hardware using virtualization technologies, Windows Server 2008 R2 and Hyper-V
Configuration Manager P2V Migration Toolkit key features:
· Task sequence\standalone media driven. Utilizes Configuration Manager 2007’s task sequences to provide the ability to automate the majority of the end-to-end P2V process, including:
o Offline virtualization of physical disks.
o Preparing the VHDs to leverage virtual storage drivers and align to virtual disk layout.
o Compressing of the VHD’s to reduce size on disk.
o Installation of Windows 2008 R2 (including enabling the Hyper-V role).
o Automating the creation of a Hyper-V virtual machine.
o Attaching the captured VHDs as a Hyper-V virtual machine.
· User interface to create customized task sequences and standalone media. Wizard driven user interface assists in the creation of a customized Configuration Manager 2007 task sequence and standalone media specifically targeted to the P2V conversion of the remote site server.
· Offline physical-to-virtual conversion. Offline P2V conversion is the most reliable way to ensure data consistency between the physical hard disks and the virtual copies.
· Capture only option. Wizard driven solution to assist in the creation of bootable media, which in turn can be used to capture selected physical disk drives into Virtual Hard Disks (VHDs).
Release Candidate Improvements:
· Accessibility. Added support for high contrast, keyboard shortcuts and keyboard navigation.
· Increased critical boot driver coverage. Added additional support for critical boot drivers to enhance IDE disk driver support in the virtual instance.