Being passionate about the products of Microsoft System Center, I tested the new version of System Centre Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 SP1 and that’s why I wrote this post, this post indicate how to install and configure the SCVMM 2008 R2 SP1!
Small reminder on System Centre Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2:
Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 helps enable centralized management of physical and virtual IT infrastructure, increased server utilization, and dynamic resource optimization across multiple virtualization platforms. It includes end-to-end capabilities such as planning, deploying, managing, and optimizing the virtual infrastructure.
- Centrally creates and manages virtual machines across the entire datacenter
- Easily consolidates multiple physical servers onto virtual hosts
- Rapidly provisions and optimizes new and existing virtual machines
- Performance and Resource Optimization (PRO) enables the dynamic management of virtual resources through management packs that are PRO enabled. As an open and extensible platform, PRO encourages partners to design custom management packs that promote compatibility of their products and solutions with PRO’s powerful management capabilities.
What’s New in Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 SP1:
System Center Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1) contains a rollup of all previously released hotfixes for VMM 2008 R2. Additionally, the service pack adds support for the new Dynamic Memory and Microsoft RemoteFX features in Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1).
To start, always start with the prerequisites ( lol as usual ):
For SCVMM Server:
For download all informations on SCVMM 2008 R2, click HERE
In my example, you need a:
- 1 Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise for Domain Controller
- 1 Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise for SCVMM server integrated with active directory domain
- 1 SQL 2008 Server source HERE
- SCVMM 2008 R2 SP1 download HERE
1 – Install SQL 2008 Server (not detailed here…)
2- Launch Setup.exe install and click on Installation>> select VMM server
3-Select Accept terms licence … and click Next
4-At this step, there is a choice between whether to participate in product improvement program, personally I always accept because it allows Microsoft engineers can improve the breadth of the product, I invite you to accept .. .:-) and click next
5 -Insert User Name and company name and click Next
6 -Click Next
7 -Click Next
8 -Select Use SQL Server option
Insert all informations for connect to the sql database ,select create new database and click next:
9 – Select new LIBRARY option and click next
11 -Click Install
12 -Install in progress….:-)
13 -Select or not the Auto Update Option and click next
14 -Great, System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 SP1 installation is finish!!!!
Don’t forget to install VMM administration console to manage System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 SP1 (not detailed here)
After install VMM console, you can access to your System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 SP1 platform…:-)
whenever I have a little more time, I will detail how to migrate a VMware virtual machine to a System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 SP1 machine , see you soon